...listen to yourself...

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Dopress book not my project


Dozens of sketcher friends around the world have contacted me in the past month about an email they have received from a China-based publisher known as Dopress, which is preparing a book with the same title as mine, The Art of Urban Sketching.

Sketchers are receiving emails from an editor named Ivy who invites them to submit their artwork for publication.

I have never been in contact with this person or this publisher. A quick look at their website shows a catalogue of books on interior design, graphic design and architecture.

While I personally don't like the idea of a book with the same title as mine, I can't find a compelling reason to disapprove of a project that aims to showcase an art form I practice and work hard to promote on a daily basis. Besides, book titles can't be copyrighted.

Sketchers should use their own judgement when deciding to contribute to this or any other publishing projects.